Question:
What should i order at a thai restaurant?
Chelsea
2009-10-15 20:43:06 UTC
My boyfriend and i are going to a thai restaurant tomorrow because we heard it was good. What should we get since we have never been there before? And approximatly how much will it cost?
Seventeen answers:
malibu
2009-10-15 21:08:22 UTC
Oh my gosh I love Thai food! The only good thing about dating my ex boyfriend is that treated me to dinners out all the time and we would often go to Thai places lol. Make sure you get a Thai iced tea, they are SO GOOD. its like cold tea with spices and cream and its so very yummy. Pad thai is divine, a stir fry with rice noodles and peanuts meat/veggies. I like vegetable pad thai or chicken pad thai. If you arent the most adventurous type, I recommend you stick to the ones that are most ordered. You could ask your waiter and they will tell you. If they ask you how spicy you want, only say one or two out of five because I ordered a 3 and it was WAY too spicy! I couldnt even enjoy it. For an appetizer we would get these cold spring rolls wrapped in rice paper with cucumber and shrimp in them dipped in peanut sauce... so good! And for dessert of course... you must have the coconut (or simply sweet) sticky rice with mango or one of their ice cream flavors. Trust me this stuff is delicious!! Enjoy :)
Laura H
2009-10-15 21:17:27 UTC
Well, Pad Thai is pretty standard. And just get it with whatever meat you feel comfortable with, if there is a choice. Also, some restaurants will let you tell them how hot you want the dish, which can be an issue is you are not accustomed to hot food (Thai food is generally spicy).

If you want an appetizer, you may try the Satay. I love Thai peanut sauce!

As for cost, I guess it depends on the place. I usually pay 5-7 dollars for an entree.
The Mouse II
2009-10-16 00:31:20 UTC
It is difficult to give you WHAT to order and HOW much because

1 - I don't know where you are (what country, where in that country)

2 - I don't' know what you like to eat (are you a meat eater or mostly vegetarian, can you eat spicy food, etc)

3 - Not every restaurant will have the same dishes on their menus

4 - different restaurants sure will have different prices and the higher class restaurant will be more expensive of course.

Tell them that you never had Thia food before and ask the waiter for suggestions. Tell them if you can eat hot spicy food or not and if you can't make sure the waiter know NOT to order anything with chilli in it.

Generally - for beginners:

- spring rolls with dipping sauce or satay chicken sticks to start.

- two stir fried dishes - one chicken one pork (ask waiter for suggestion ). One dish could be a little spicy and the other with stir fried veggies.

- a curry (masaman curry is the mildest, or try red curry)

- some steam rice to go with the dishes.

But you can also try Pad thai - as many people have suggested (but if you are going to have rice and curry - then don't order pad thai - as it is noodles and no point ordering a noodle dish if you are going to have rice)

But...for a better experience:

Be adventurous! Try something exotic...Thai food is aromatic and flavoursome. Your tastebuds will love you forever.

And note: Thai food is eaten with spoon and fork and NOT knife and fork. If they give you knife and fork on the table - they are NOT Thai.

Cheers from Australia
susswein
2016-09-29 03:57:14 UTC
Pad Thai with chicken (generally noodles and chicken with some greens and floor peanuts jumbled at the same time) at a three.5 warmth megastar point is my widespread. My husband consistently orders Pad See Yew (sp?) with beef at some 4 megastar warmth point. the two are delicious and Thai eating places tend to offer you adequate to take abode for yet another meal. purely toss in a warm skillet with a sprint of water to make the sauce come again.
blix797
2009-10-15 20:49:44 UTC
My number one determining factor in a thai restaurant is how good their "Pad Thai" is. Every thai restaurant has it, guaranteed. Its difficult to describe its flavor unless you've tried it, but I guarantee it's good. Other than that, I recommend trying one of their curries. These two dishes will probably be on the cheaper side of their menu, however expensive the place is, so enjoy.
Robalo Rafter
2009-10-16 07:12:12 UTC
Start off with Thai spring rolls, they are delicious and then go for the chicken fried rice and ask for a fried egg on top. It's awesome.

And to try the Thai Ice Tea. It's so good.
AK-47
2009-10-15 22:48:09 UTC
Papaya Salad $ 9

Pad see ew $10 +

Crab fried rice $10+

Green Eggplant Curry$10 +

Thai ice tea $ 2

Fried Banana Ice Cream $ 7

Sweet Mango Rice $8

These are my favorites and the approx. prices. I eat at Krung Thai!
sha_lyn68
2009-10-15 21:05:28 UTC
Pad Thai is a good first dish, as is Basil fried rice. If you are adventurous, I suggest a curry. My favorite is chicken or shrimp with Massaman green curry. I also really love the coconut soup.
Scott
2009-10-15 20:47:03 UTC
Maybe you should order thai food at a thai restaurant. Just read the menu and order what sounds good. Try asking the waiter what she likes.
ATOMickey
2009-10-15 21:24:16 UTC
I think it is beef marinade with lemon grass and rice, it is just so good i order it all the time, i think it is maybe 8-15 dollars depending on which restaurant. And you should order a salty plum soda for a drink, it is so good. It is like refreshing with a hint of flavah
2009-10-15 21:14:51 UTC
It is impossible to guess prices in your country as I don't know where that is or what the menu will be.

Here are some Thai dish recipes that you could read to get an idea of what some of them will be.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/Classic_Thai_Recipes.htm
conjunto31
2009-10-15 21:02:13 UTC
chicken pad thai! It is soooo good
2009-10-15 20:46:29 UTC
Chicken Panang is yummy! If they have yum woon sen it is a very good salad.

Thai food is usually very reasonably priced.
sweeter_than_you666
2009-10-15 20:46:54 UTC
Showering Rama. Best thing ever.
disapprovingrabbit
2009-10-15 20:55:11 UTC
try pad thai - i've only had it once but i loved it!!
2009-10-15 20:47:34 UTC
ginger anything, and thi beer, or ice tea.
2009-10-15 20:45:57 UTC
Dating an Asian bf by any chance?

lucky man!

order pho.