Question:
What kind of hot tea is it that they serve at Chinese restaurants?
Mollie
2007-12-06 17:41:50 UTC
It's a dark colored tea (brown or black) that is very aromatic with a very nice flavor. I remember being served this kind of tea in Chinese restaurants about 20 years ago. Now when I go to most Chinese restaurants and ask for hot tea, they just serve the regular old kind of tea - it's very disappointing. I'd like to buy some of the kind that they used to serve before. Anyone know what it is?

My mom once bought some of it from our favorite Chinese restaurant 20 years back, and she said it didn't look like normal tea leaves. It was wirey black stuff.
Eight answers:
Cheripie
2007-12-07 02:18:14 UTC
Oolong or Jasmine.
spectrejazz
2007-12-08 10:18:29 UTC
Chinese food is traditionally served with a fermented Puer (Pu-erh) tea, but recently, at least in the States, the trend has been towards Jasmine tea. Puer tea focuses on earthy, dark tones and is considered to aid in digestion, whereas Jasmine is very simply "nose-candy".

Dark and wiry could be either, depending on the age and quality, but Puer is a good bet. There are many different Puer out there, from earthy to very mildly sweet, so try before you buy.
L Helinson
2007-12-07 00:24:29 UTC
Wiry black stuff is because it has been sun dried for hours until it's shrivelled up. I don't know about the old kinds, but they most likely serve chrysanthemum(which is kind of sweet tinge) or just plain tea leaves.

Maybe what you're looking for is Oolong?
Stephen C
2007-12-06 18:34:32 UTC
Get your hands on a nice green tea flavored with rose petals or a nice jasmine. Both are very tasty and wonderfully aromatic
lilly_0578
2007-12-06 18:02:32 UTC
Oolong or black tea, the most popular one. Sometimes, the aromatic one they served are chrysanthemum or jasmine tea.
gummyworm
2007-12-06 17:50:10 UTC
Oolong,or Pekoe Black.
?
2016-10-10 14:37:30 UTC
maximum resturants I even have frequented serve jasmine tea. different kinds which would be served is oolong. in spite of the certainty that ninety% it would be jasmine that's sometimes a tad bitter and formidable in the initiating then leaves you with a dry after style.
Milly
2007-12-06 17:52:06 UTC
monkey pick-up tea or dragon's eye tea. (it's the direct translation!!!) lol

hope this helps!