Question:
What should I order at a thai restaurant?
razzacom
2007-07-03 05:31:13 UTC
What would people recommend I get at the Thai restaruant considering I am not really a vegetable person. I love meat. To give you an idea of the kind of thing that I would order at an Indian restaurant I would go for a tandoori chicken. Is there something similar to that at a thai place?
Sixteen answers:
Tara C
2007-07-03 22:11:29 UTC
Try beef or chicken satay. They are like little meet kabobs with a great peanut dipping sauce. Also try pad thai noodles. They have a version of chicken noodle soup made with coconut milk that is soooo good. Also any of their duck dishes are fabulous. Orange & curry are among the ways they make it. For dessert you must have thai donuts (not donuts at all) with Thai coffee.
LilAngel221
2007-07-03 06:07:05 UTC
Pad Thai with chicken (mostly noodles and chicken with some veggies and ground peanuts mixed in) at a 3.5 heat star level is my favorite.

My husband always orders Pad See Yew (sp?) with beef at about a 4 star heat level.

Both are delicious and Thai restaurants tend to give you enough to take home for another meal. Just toss in a hot skillet with a little bit of water to make the sauce come back.
Jessica J
2007-07-03 09:58:17 UTC
As an appetizer, I would recommend satay. Usually, beef satay or chicken satay. Satay is strips of with Thai spices rubbed on, then its skewered, and grilled. Its normally served with peanut and cucumber dipping sauce. Since its grilled, spicy meat, its the closest thing to Tandoori I can think of. Harder to find are angel wings, stuffed chicken wings with a very crispy coating. The wings are stuffed with shrimp or chicken meat, and some finely chopped vegetables.

Pad Thai, noodles with eggs, chicken or shrimp, and thinly sliced vegetables in a mild sauce is a very popular choice. I prefer dishes made with wide rice noodles and a flavorful garlicy sauce (different restaurants call it by different names - most commonly Drunken Noodles).

I also like the curries. They comes with various combinations of vegetables, and most restaurants will allow to you select the meat/seafood.

Green curry is made of mild green chili and lemongrass. I STRONGLY recommend the green curry with chicken - its a very popular dish - and I use it to measure how good a Thai restaurant is. Red curry is make with different spices - if you're adventurous try the red curry duck (usually comes with pineapples in the curry), or red curry catfish. Yellow curry usually contains potatoes, and is good with meat rather than seafood.

If the restaurant has it, I'd recommend basil chicken - finely minced chicken with chilis and crispy basil. There are usually several dishes of meat, with different combinations of vegetables. They vary from restaurant to restaurant. They are usually mild, more similar to Chinese food (and milder) than the curries.
Robert S
2007-07-03 05:41:09 UTC
Most dishes come with meat, seafood or vegetable choices. I recommend:

House Curry —

Choice of Meat (Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp, or Squid)

Combination Seafood (Mussel, Shrimp, and Calamari)

Vegetarian (Tofu) with Pepper or Carrots, Broccoli Cooked with Coconut Milk and Red Curry Peanut Sauce

Pad Thai —

Pan Fried Medium Sized Rice Noodle with Chicken or Shrimp

Includes Bean Sprouts, Green Onions, and Eggs

Topped with Ground Peanuts

Green Curry —

Choice of Meat, Seafood, or Vegetarian

Includes Bamboo Shoots, Egg Plant, Bell Peppers, Coconut Milk, Green Beans, and Basil in Green Curry Paste

Yellow Curry —

Choice of Meat, Seafood, and Vegetarian

Includes Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Bell Peppers, and Coconut Milk in Yellow Curry Paste
?
2016-09-29 03:48:21 UTC
properly, Pad Thai is enormously standard. And purely get it with in spite of the fact that meat you sense delicate with, if there's a decision. additionally, some eating places enable you to tell them how warm you opt for for the dish, which will properly be an argument is you're actually not conscious of warm food (Thai food is many times notably spiced). in case you opt for for an appetizer, you could try the Satay. i like Thai peanut sauce! As for value, i assume it relies upon on the situation. I many times pay 5-7 money for an entree.
Sugar Pie
2007-07-03 10:09:49 UTC
Spring Rolls w/ peanut dipping sauce--- kind of like a salad rolle dup in rice paper.

Pad Thai is kind of a classic "Beginners" Thai noodle dish

And if they have some sort of Coconut Lime Soup, or Coconut Chicken Soup, get it. SOOO GOOD!

Same w/ dessert... if they have a Coconut Rice Pudding, get it!
lonely maria
2007-07-03 05:52:02 UTC
Try some curries like beef, pock, or chicken curry / green curry / chicken or pork fried rice / Pat Thai noodles / Sour Soup, etc.
2007-07-03 06:47:26 UTC
Mussaman curry is the best. Onions, potatoes, peanuts, red coconut curry and I get mine with chicken.

Red snapper is also to die for.

Pad Thai is great for beginners.
reene2g
2007-07-03 07:57:27 UTC
Mild Panang Chicken Curry...its sooo good!
art_child2000
2007-07-03 05:45:11 UTC
try the curry puffs. they're like mini-empanadas stuffed with ground chicken, smashed sweet potato, onions and curry. they're usually served with cucumber-plum sauce.

for a main dish, try the volcano shrimp (spicy) or the panang curry (red curry based on chili's and cooled with coconut milk). this is usually served with rice.
2007-07-03 09:03:17 UTC
thai yellow chicken curry

pineapple fried rice

kim prig pra(green beans with chciken in brownich red curry)
2007-07-03 13:31:21 UTC
Tom Yum Ga soup.
Lauren A
2007-07-03 05:43:45 UTC
Spring rolls and fried calimari as appetizers! And fried broccoli and cauliflower, too! Okay, I just eat the appetizers at Thai restaurants because they are all so good!
Aileen HK
2007-07-03 22:00:49 UTC
Starter

Thai Spicy Pomelo & Shrimps Salad or

Spring rolls or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suviko/434126542/

Pork salad with mint, peanuts and ginger

Soup

Spicy Chicken & coconut cream soup or

http://www.galaxylink.com.hk/~john/food/cooking/thai/tomkhagai.htm

Tom Yum Gong soup (spicy sweet & sour shrimp soup)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heywan_20/487492732/

Main

Red Curry Roast Duck or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberlucky/476463421/

Grilled whole chicken in Thai Style or

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DThai%2Bgrilled%2Bchicken%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26b%3D81&w=640&h=480&imgurl=www.sptsb.com%2FElephantThai5.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sptsb.com%2FElephantThai.htm&size=58.0kB&name=ElephantThai5.jpg&p=Thai+grilled+chicken&type=jpeg&no=94&tt=234&oid=19963b87f173ac94&ei=UTF-8

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=21305598&size=o

Green Curry Chicken with steamed rice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenwilliams/81015190/

Dessert

Mango with coconut cream on sticky rice or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynnintokyo/157667458/

steamed pumpkin coconut custard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miek37/90725181/

Bon Appetite
krystalis
2007-07-03 17:38:06 UTC
thai spring rolls, and pineapple rice, and spicy soup
Aero
2007-07-03 05:53:21 UTC
order their specialty... if u dont know.. ask the waiter...